1.20.2016

This morning a soft snow was falling. This is the sort of snow where each snowflake is perfectly visible, each lighting carefully on top of each other, intertwining their crystals into an airy lace. Snow is the handiwork of God. He makes winter beautiful.

Snow is a reminder that God gives grace through the dark seasons of our lives. Just when you think the struggle through a waiting season is going to go on drab and drear, here comes glitter, falling from heaven. The time is still harsh and cold, but snow lifts that bitterness with it's beauty. Snow makes the world quiet. It gives us a hope for Spring, when new life will come.

All of our time here on earth is a time of waiting. During this time, it is good to remember God's faithfulness, His good and perfect character. The fact that He has provided for a new and true life, in Christ. This true life exceeds the time of waiting; His grace is sufficient.

Lamentations 3:21-26 reads, "This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning, great is Thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion, saith my soul, therefore will I hope in Him. The Lord is good unto them that wait for Him, to the soul that seeketh Him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord."

When I am in this season, Christ has given the blessing of salvation, the start of a work that He is going to finish. These are the snowflakes of my life, to be encouraged by His Word, to have an intercessor for me before God, to provoke good works. Salvation in Christ is the glitter that surrounds seasons of time when I struggle in the sinfulness of the world and myself.

There are other blessings, the gift of family to encourage and support. A work to grow within, with people who need kindness and patience each day.

Sometimes I do not immediately think about it, but even these periods of waiting are the glittering times of life. The thick of winter, February, when the winds are shrill and piercing. The agonizing winter in April, when you think it's gone on too long, and is Spring ever going to come? It's often the Aprils of life that are the hardest. February is easy to persevere, everyone has to do it. February you can expect winter. April, when the period of waiting and the darkness are still there, those are harder sometimes. In the Aprils, we can trust in God and say with the Psalmist,

"Lord, you alone are my portion and my cup;
    you make my lot secure.
The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;
    surely I have a delightful inheritance.
I will praise the Lord, who counsels me;
    even at night my heart instructs me.
I keep my eyes always on the Lord.
    With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices;
    my body also will rest secure,
because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead,
    nor will you let your faithful one see decay.
You make known to me the path of life;
    you will fill me with joy in your presence,
    with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
Psalm 16:5-11

In the cold April months, there is still snow. There are still moments of quiet, joyful times through these seasons where you can see the handiwork of God, which will serve to remind you of God Himself and His goodness.


No comments: