4.02.2021

Cheerful Giving

 I remember a night hot and sticky, after a hard day at work for both her and I. Stressed out, we headed out into the setting sun, a gift card in my pocket. A short eight minutes later we were sitting in a Tex Mex restaurant, a chain, nothing special, but special to us. We rarely went out. They were having a deal, all you can eat enchiladas, and I ordered one for us to share. The waitress glared at us. It wasn't what was done. $6.99. The gift card would cover it, and we didn't care, tonight was our fun night, the time we could unwind.


We talked and laughed and vented and solved the world's problems and ate a pint of salsa and all the chips, a huge bowl. They were good chips. The waitress came back and gave us another bowl. She glared. We didn't care, we ate that bowl too. The enchilada plate came out and there were two of them, it was perfect.

That waitress came back and glared, asked if we wanted dessert. "No thanks" my sister said. She stomped away and started whispering to another waiter. Sliding the check balance on the table, she didn't say a word. My sister and I couldn't stop laughing. We didn't mind if it wasn't what was done. I put the gift card, $10, and a bill on the table. We left without waiting for change, tearing out so we didn't see that grumpy waitress walk to her table and pick up a twenty.    

No comments: